St Barnabas Bethnal Green is committed to respecting your privacy and protecting your personal information
The church welcomes improvements to data protection laws and encourages discussion and debate on how we think about data privacy and how we manage to harness the power of data without sacrificing privacy and choice.
Why we collect personal information
St Barnabas Bethnal Green adopts the principle of collecting personal data for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and does not further process data in a way that’s incompatible with those purposes.
We need to collect and process personal information
in order to fulfil the following legitimate interests of St Barnabas Bethnal Green.
- To organise events and services
- To perform religious ceremonies and services
- To ensure the safety and security of people who work in or visit the church
- To provide pastoral care
- To promote the work and activities of the church
- To support raising funds for maintaining the church, supporting choristers and delivering education and outreach work
- To enable church facilities to be hired for private events and services
- To recruit staff and volunteers
In order to promote the work and activities of the church, we offer people the opportunity of choosing to receive periodical updates about news, events and activities at the church.
We are also required to collect and process personal information to fulfil contractual, legal and statutory obligations.
How we collect personal data
Generally, the church receives personal data from the individual directly. We recognise the need to collect data in an appropriate way for the situation so use different methods, namely online; email; paper documents; telephone and on some occasions whilst you are visiting the church.
For a small number of specific activities, personal data may be supplied by third parties. We will endeavour to inform you when this is the case.
Photographs and video recordings are taken at some church services and events.
We make use of publicly available information to establish and develop relationships with partners and supporters.
What personal information we collect
For most purposes we need to collect your name and contact details. There are times when we need to collect additional information, typically the following.
- Requirements and statutory information for people arranging religious ceremonies and services such as weddings, baptisms, memorial services and confirmations
- Requirements for people booking an educational visit to the church
- Payment details for visitors pre-booking tickets for a church event
- Payment details and gift records for people who make donations to the church
- Requirements for hiring a room or space in the church
- Areas of expertise for people working in partnership with the church to either contribute to, support or organise church services and events
- Areas of expertise for people providing goods and services to support the work of the church
Who we share your personal information with
We collect your information for a specific purpose and will only share this information with a third party when it is necessary to do so in order to fulfil that purpose. This is typically for the following reasons:
- To trusted partners and suppliers involved in the organisation and delivery of church events and services
- To trusted organisations providing specialist outsourced services to the church
- To fulfil legal and statutory obligations
- To fulfil contractual obligations
We will not sell or rent your information to third parties
We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
How long we’ll keep your information
St Barnabas Bethnal Green endeavours to retain personal data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose we obtained it for. We define different data retention periods for the different types of data that we hold, these periods also take into account other factors such as legal or regulatory requirements; agreed industry standards; business and operational requirements.
Data Protection laws provide you with the following rights.
Right of access
You may request a copy of your personal data held by St Barnabas Bethnal Green. There’s usually no fee for this request however we may charge a reasonable fee when a request is clearly unfounded or excessive.
Right to rectification
You have the right to have personal data put right if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
Right to erasure
You have the right to request the deletion or removal of personal data where there’s no compelling reason for its continued processing.
Right to restrict processing
You have the right to block or suppress processing of your personal data.
Right to object
You have the right to object to processing based on legitimate interests or direct marketing.
How to exercise your rights
All requests must be made in writing to the following address.
Data Protection Request
St Barnabas Bethnal Green
London E3 5TG
The request must contain your name; postal address; the right you are exercising; the activity, event or service that the data relates to; any supporting information that will help us identify the data such as when and how you provided it.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information, including contact details, is available at www.ico.org.uk.